You are here

FreeBSD bug i386/176073: Update from 9.0-RELEASE-p3 to 9.1-RELEASE-p0 "breaks" network interface

I discovered this problem while performing a routine binary upgrade from [geshifilter-code]9.0-RELEASE-p3[/geshifilter-code] to [geshifilter-code]9.1-RELEASE-p0[/geshifilter-code]. I checked [geshifilter-code]UPDATING[/geshifilter-code] and there were no warnings about known issues relating to my NIC.

[geshifilter-blockcode]freebsd-update -r 9.1-RELEASE upgrade freebsd-update install (reboot) freebsd-update install[/geshifilter-blockcode]

After the reboot my primary network interface [geshifilter-code]em0[/geshifilter-code] reported [geshifilter-code]no carrier[/geshifilter-code]. To make a long story short, the interface previously known as [geshifilter-code]em1[/geshifilter-code] was now [geshifilter-code]em0[/geshifilter-code] and the interface previously known as [geshifilter-code]em0[/geshifilter-code] was no longer enumerated.

Scrolling back through the console messages showed:

[geshifilter-blockcode]em0: Setup of Shared code failed device_attach: em0 attach returned 6[/geshifilter-blockcode][geshifilter-code]pciconf -vl[/geshifilter-code] showed that the interface previously enumerated as [geshifilter-code]em0[/geshifilter-code] was now [geshifilter-code]none0[/geshifilter-code]

I have read about other similar issues by other people in the forums, but not necessarily with my NIC (Intel Pro/1000). I think the common denominator may be the chipset. As this is a leased server in a datacentre I don't have much to go on except that it is a SuperMicro PDSBM which appears to use the Intel 946GZ
(Lakeport-G). Perhaps something to do with a pci-related driver has changed.

Follow the bug report here.

Add new comment

Simple Copyright Policy: If you want to reproduce anything on this site, get my permission first.